Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chicago - Tuesday

Tuesday we had a few things planned, I wanted to get up to see Wrigley Field, and we wanted to check out the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is a free zoo on the North side of town too. Over on that side of town we found a cool little bakery and decided to get a snack. I got a carrot-apricot cupcake, which was carrot cake with apricot jelly in the middle - really messy and good, and Kimmy got some raspberry angel food cake.

We checked out our Chicago book for a place to eat lunch around there, and decided on a thai place that was recommended called Penny's Noodle House. Kimmy got Pad Thai, which was good and really refreshing, especially after a squeeze of lime. I ordered Pad se eu, which I've had before at other places, but this one was a little different, the noodles were a lot thicker and starchier than I've had before, and the sauce had a charred taste to it that I actually enjoyed, though I think Kimmy likes the other ones I've had before better. We also got some dumplings and their miso soup, which was new on the menu, for appetizers, and those were nice too.

After another day of wandering around the North side of town and the zoo, we were pretty worn out again, but we finally took a chance on the bus system, and got a chance to ride back to the hotel to rest. We had tickets to go see the Second City comedy show Tuesday night, and we found a place called Bistrot Margot that wasn't far from there. It was St. Patrick's Day (and no, the river wasn't green - apparently they do that on the closest Saturday to the 17th, ugh), and I was very tempted to order the corned beef and cabbage special they had running, but decided against it and ordered some french onion soup - very cheesy and rich, and roasted pork tenderloin with a mushroom sauce and pasta gratin. Kimmy ate whitefish in a lemon caper sauce with almonds (she really can't get enough of those capers lately). It was a nice place and I was really interested in a lot of things on their menu, so if I ever make it back to Chicago, I might wind up back in there. The Second City show we went to after dinner was actually pretty funny, and I'm interested to see if any of the actors end up on SNL or movies or anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment