Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chicago - Monday

So Kimmy and I decided to take a trip for Spring Break last week, and since we aren't beach people we did the next most logical thing and went to Chicago which is gloomily and beautifully chilly in spring. We had a few things planned and ideas for what we wanted to do and wanted to eat, but for the most part we were going to take it day by day and ride the wind of the windy city (and according to David Schwimmer on our multimedia tour at Hancock Tower it's not called the windy city because it's windy).

These blog posts and especially the pictures in them will focus on the food we ate, if you want to see the pictures of everything else we did, you can check out the photo albums I posted on facebook.

Anyway, we landed at O'Hare Monday, early afternoon, rode the El/Subway to our hotel to check in, and then took to the streets. We first wanted to go to Millennium Park to check out the giant silver bean, and on the way we wanted to stop and get a Chicago style hot dog. I've been eating them for a while at home, and I like them better than any other hot dogs now, so I was interested in seeing if the ones in Chicago could live up to my expectations. We stopped at a place called Gold Coast Dogs near the loop (loop of El tracks in downtown Chicago) and got a couple hot dogs and some fries. They lived up to my expectations for the most part, but I discovered that my favorite part of a Chicago style hot dog is the celery salt on top, and they don't put as much there as I usually do on my own.

After trekking around Chicago, visiting the bean, Magnificent Mile, and Hancock tower we were pretty exhausted, but decided to eat some Deep Dish Pizza. There are a few places that were recommended to us, but we decided to check out Pizzeria Uno, which is apparently where the Deep Dish Pizza was first made. We had to wait a little while for a table, but they take your pizza order and get it in the oven while you wait. We got one with everything, sausage, a little pepperoni, onions, green peppers, etc. I really liked the pizza, and it was a nice change, but I think we both decided that it's not really something we'd like to eat regularly. Pizzeria Uno was a really small place with all kinds of people there, and I think the atmosphere was pretty different from any place we've got here.

No comments:

Post a Comment