Sunday, March 22, 2009

Beaver's

I was talking to this guy I work with a couple weeks ago and we were talking about restaurants around where we live. He asked if I had ever been to Beaver's, and I hadn't. He recommended it, so we've been trying to check it out. Apparently it's right near my house, on Sawyer just on the other side of Washington. Brian and Jonathan and I tried to go there one Monday night, but apparently it's closed on Mondays, so we went back later in the week with Kimmy.

It was pretty busy on a Thursday night. It was "culture night" and some of their proceeds were going to a dance center. There was a bit of a wait, it's a pretty small place, so we waited in the bar area for a table. Brian and I tried one of their beer cocktails, a "Birch Shandy" which is Beer and Birch Beer. We decided it had a root beer taste but felt like drinking beer. Later we tried another of their beer cocktails with lemon and rum in it and it wasn't very good. Jonathan tried one of their specialty drinks called a "Current Affair" which was pretty good - a little licorice-y. I'll probably try another one of their drinks if we go back.

We got a table and ordered some appetizers, which were really good, but sounded better on the menu. Fried cream cheese and smoked pork stuffed pepperoncinis and fried oysters on a fresh fried thick tortilla chip with some really nice guacamole and salsa.

They were having a special on a "Mini" chicken fried steak, so Kimmy and Brian and Jonathan all got that. It sounded good, but I can't order the same thing as one person, much less all 3 other people I'm with, so I got a BBQ chicken sandwich that they call a Pit Boss Chickwich. It was really messy - it had some of their shredded smoked chicken, a tangy “Ring of Fire” BBQ sauce, a fried egg, fried onions, and a pickle, and the whole sandwich sat on top of a mound of some pretty good poppy seed jicama and red cabbage coleslaw, but I'm the only one in the world who likes coleslaw anymore apparently.

Nice place overall, it'd be good to go back on a night when it's quieter and less crowded.







NOTE: Posts about our Chicago trip - day by day - will be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment