Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gorditas Aguascalientes


Brian loves this place because his magic book of Houston food tells him to love it, but it's actually really good homemade mexican food - pretty sure we've been the only non-hispanics in there both the times I've been. We've gotten food there before for hangover breakfast, but I've never sat down to eat there, but Jonathan and Brian and I decided to go there for lunch today.

The waitress came up to us and says "¿algo para tomar?" and Jonathan looked puzzled, so I said "what do you want to drink?" As we were ordering drinks, I contemplated the horchata but settled on water this time, and some guy comes up to our table with some gold chains asking if we wanted to buy some. Well, not asking, just hand modeling them and raising a hopeful eyebrow really, but the proposition was clear. I didn't see him doing this to any other table, so I'm not sure if it was just because he saw us pull up in a BMW tagged "STOVE" or what, but we didn't buy any. The only thing I can compare it to is being asked to buy balloon animals or something at Chili's or one of its inbred cousins, but being asked to buy gold chains is much more exciting.

Then it came time to order, Brian got "enchiladas tex mex", Jonathan got two breakfast tacos (and didn't finish them), and I got some Carne Guisada. I've always known what it was, just never got around to ordering it anywhere, so I did this time. It was really great. White people can think of a spicy tomato-ey mexican pot roast, and that about gets you there, but it's something that you've got to try if you're interested in it. I really think it would be a good hangover cure too, just like the huevos rancheros that I've gotten there before. I like to eat it by scooping a piece of the meat up in a bit of tortilla, so that the sauce gets soaked in and nothing gets wasted. (I didn't take pictures while we were there, I didn't think to until Kimmy texted me asking me if I was going to post about lunch, and I was already done by then. - But this picture is pretty close to what I had, except refried beans instead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment