Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Giao Xu Duc Me La Vang

So each Sunday- my dad and I try to go to church, then meet up with my sister at my mom's. From there we usually go eat and it is typically always at the same places- Pho in the Hong Kong market center off of Veterans or Cuu Long off of 249. This past weekend, we didn't go to either of those places. Instead, we went to Our Lady of La Vang church off of 249 & Old Foltin Road for their annual festival. I remember going to this church as a child- it is where I had my first holy communion and spent countless Sundays at Sunday school. I remember a dinky blue building and a small church with green glass windows. I recently found photos of my sister and I performing some sort of dance at this church where I was dressed all in baby blue with wings holding a basket around my neck that contained glitter in it. Anyways, this isn't the place I remembered. They built this HUGE church which I would except to see at a temple but not here. There are dragons all over the roof and then at the very tip... a cross. Hidden behind this huge thing is the old church and the no longer blue school building. Next to that was where the festival was being held.

They had tables set up for you to start buying New Year gifts for others, a whole wall lined with food and food, big stage for entertainment (although we only got to see dragon dances and them showing/naming lost children..), smaller tent for games and to buy random things, and another small area of moonwalk type things for the kids to play on. Since it was cold, Ryan and I both had Pho. Dad, my sister, and my brother in law had Banh Cuon. The lady making the banh cuon was awesome- I wish I could make it like that. Dad also bought us some goat meat to eat, and I tried to take a photo of the people next to us eating baby duck eggs. Don't worry, if you aren't in the mood for Vietnamese food... make sure you stop by Fry R Us instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment