Thursday, February 5, 2009

Patrenella's

Kimmy and I had our 5 year anniversary on Sunday, and since Sunday was the Super Bowl, I took her out on Saturday night instead. We went to Patrenella's, which is an Italian place that my grandparents have recommended before, though the chef that had been there before left. New chef or old chef, the food was really good. The main restaurant, which is the Patrenella family's old house converted into a restaurant, was full when we got there, so they asked if we wanted to go wait in their bar behind the restaurant, called Corleone's. We went back there and there were people eating there too, so we just ate there. It's the same kitchen, same menu, so I'm not sure why they call it something else, but whatever. We ordered an eggplant appetizer - very thin fried eggplant parmigiana topped with marinara and cheese. With a serving of pasta that would have been a really nice meal, but it was a good appetizer too.

The waitress came by and told us the specials, and I really debated ordering the ribeye with bleu cheese sauce she mentioned, but I had already picked out Veal Piccata from the menu. Kimmy ordered something else I was eyeing on the menu, the seared scallops. My veal was good, nice and lemony and caper-y sauce, which is how I like it, and the pasta was cooked well. The meat may have been a little overcooked, but it was still good. The stars of the evening were Kimmy's scallops though. Seared Scallops on top of a REALLY good and creamy basil risotto, topped with tomato jam and pancetta. They were delicious. Scallops were perfectly cooked, nice sear on the outside and buttery soft on the inside. The tomato jam and pancetta were a nice match on top, and the risotto was amazing.

I also ordered a glass (and then another) of "whatever white wine they had open," and I was proud that I knew it was a Pinot Grigio when I tasted it. I don't know if I should be proud of that or not, but whatever.

We also played a quick Bocce match on the court out in front of the restaurant, which is always fun, even though Kimmy didn't throw the boccino very far.




No comments:

Post a Comment