Sunday, April 19, 2009

Beaver's (again)

Brian and Jonathan and Lindsey talked me into going out for a couple beers at the Darkhorse Tavern last Thursday after work. Okay, it didn't take that much convincing, but anyway. Darkhorse was a bar we hadn't been to, it was pretty cool inside but there was no one there. We sat there for a little bit and decided to go to Beaver's for dinner. We went there a month or so ago and really liked it, but Lindsey had never been. Ryan O. met us there and Kimmy showed up eventually after she got off work. Thursday night is Culture Club night or something there, and part of the proceeds that night were going to the Houston Chorale something or other. They have a drink and food special on Thursdays to benefit whatever cultural group is there, and there was a Texas beer on there, Southern Star Bombshell Blonde, brewed in Conroe, that we had never tried, so a few of us got that. Jonathan tried the "Forecast" - cocktail with habanero-infused vodka, cucumber, and lime - it was pretty good, I know because I drank the last half after he decided to go with another "Currant Affair" like he got last time. Ryan O. tried their mint julep made with smoked whiskey. Our waitress was pretty cool and made some good recommendations on the food for us, and Brian tried his best to offend her.

One side of the table got BBQ, which they smoke every day there. Kimmy ordered the culture club special, prime rib carpaccio. I got another daily special, the Grouper cake - like a crab cake but with grouper - with potato dumplings, and Ryan O had a crawfish cornbread salad - made with their crawfish that apparently they do every Wednesday night. Everything was really good. Kimmy and I are really starting to like this place. They have really great food with different fresh specials every day, and a nice beer and drink list, but everything is still very casual.

If that doesn't sound like enough, we had heard about their candied bacon ice cream and Kimmy and I decided to get some for everyone to try, and while looking at the dessert menu I noticed the Beaver Balls - basically fried brownie batter - still plenty raw or just melted in the middle, I'm not sure which. We were waiting for the dessert for just a bit, had finished up our drinks, and I jokingly slapped the table and said "I sure could go for some Beaver balls," just as apparently they were being brought out right behind me, and the guy bringing them out said something like, "Well how about that, here you go..." It was funny, but you probably had to be there for it to make sense. The ice cream was good, I could have handled more bacon flavor, but I guess I can understand that it still needs to be ice cream-y enough.

We will definitely be going back again, I just wish we had found out about this place sooner, since it's so close to my house.




(We aren't really regulars yet, I guess, but it has to have the highest rating now, and we will be going back a few more times, I'm sure of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment